ProvidersInformation to help providers working with Deaf children
ASDC believes that medical, audiology, and educational professionals serving deaf children and their families have a responsibility to:
- Be informed about the successes of deaf persons from all walks of life, including those who use American Sign Language, as their primary language and those who do and do not use cochlear implants.
- Recognize the benefits of early language, including sign language, and work to ensure that deaf children’s language development, whether signed, spoken or both, progresses at a rate equivalent to that of their hearing peers.
- Refer parents to a wide range of information sources, including deaf individuals, families with deaf children, schools for the deaf and local, state and national parent and deaf adult organizations.
We need to erase:
- Misconceptions that sign language will harm a deaf child’s language development.
- Misconceptions that supporting visual language means excluding spoken language approaches.
Donec consequat nec sem eget imperdiet. Pellentesque pretium venenatis ipsum sed ulla.
Parents of children who are deaf are often presented with the option of obtaining a cochlear implant for their child. Before this choice is made, it is important for parents to gather as much information as possible regarding the technology and to develop realistic expectations associated with its use.
Wrights Law has added a new IEP FAQs Pop-Up Resolving Parent-School Disputes webpage. From this webpage learn strategies to resolve disagreements. Steps to take if you disagree with the school and options you have if you are unable to resolved disputes. Click here...
101 Quality Resources for Speech Therapists provides service provides with information and resources.
A free new online resource in ASL is now available from the Laurent Clerc National Deaf Education Center! The 15 Principles are best practices for how to read aloud to deaf and hard of hearing children. The principles were developed to give parents and teachers of...